We have established these guiding principles as a reflection of our values as teachers and professionals in Schiller Park School District 81. They are intended as a means of informal personal assessment. They represent our shared purpose and will continue to guide us as educators.
1. We will provide a welcoming and safe environment for students, parents, staff, and community members of all racial and ethnic groups. Our school will not only recognize but also celebrate the cultural diversity of our student body and community.
2. We will provide a challenging, rigorous, and developmentally appropriate curriculum, which addresses individual student needs, is focused on academic growth, and is based on best practice and current research.
3. We will monitor student learning and growth through continuing assessments, which allow students multiple ways of demonstrating mastery, are meaningful, and just. We will use assessment information not only to monitor student growth but also to guide our instruction and to inform parents.
4. We will be responsible for the success and well being of every student. Therefore, we will collaborate and support each other in developing instructional strategies insuring effective interventions and designing methods of assessment while advancing the mission and vision of the school.
5. As professional educators, we will model life-long learning by taking advantage of professional development opportunities. We will continually evaluate the results of our collective and individual efforts and use that evidence to guide our ongoing personal and professional development.
6. We will communicate with parents and the community on issues affecting the education of their students. We will encourage the parents to understand that education is an active partnership between the school and its community.
7. Through our own actions, we will model kindness, understanding, integrity, and respect for our students. We will strive to instill these qualities in our students.